A member of the UAE armed forces is seen while searching for landmines in Al-Mokha, Yemen March 6, 2018. REUTERS/ Aziz El Yaakoubi
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Yasser Yassin was driving along a road on Yemen's rugged Red Sea coast when a blast sent his Toyota Hilux flying into the air.Residents and medics from Al-Mokha and nearby villages said land mines had caused more casualties than the fighting in the area, which has seen the Houthis pushed out of some Red Sea coastal areas since 2016 .The UAE armed forces and Yemeni troops said they harvest between 250 and 300 land mines every week in the western region. Over 40,000 devices have been neutralized since coalition-allied forces took control of the Red Sea coast in a series of battles starting in 2016 .Around 90 percent of the land mines were locally made and most of the victims are civilians, they said.Last year, Human Rights Watch called on the Houthis to stop using land mines and observe the 1997 Ottawa Convention ban on anti-personnel mines, which took effect in 1999 .Massoudi said the military wing of the hospital was treating civilian land-mine victims also.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE