A man walks past screens displaying a television news programme showing an image of Kenji Goto, one of two Japanese citizens taken captive by Islamic State militants, on a street in Tokyo January 25, 2015. REUTERS/Yuya Shino
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Sunday branded the murder of a Japanese hostage by ISIS militants as "outrageous and unforgivable" and demanded the immediate release of a second captive, amid a tide of global revulsion.Japan was continuing to analyse the images released overnight to confirm the authenticity of the video, said Abe, but he acknowledged it appeared credible.It was posted with an audio recording in which a man claiming to be Goto blames Abe for his fellow captive's death because he failed to pay a $200 million ransom.Abe declined to comment on whether he would ask Amman to release Sajida.Some commentators have noted that the voice does not resemble that heard on videos featuring Goto. However, one specialist interviewed by Japanese media was reported to have said it was "more than 99 percent certain" the voice was his. ISIS, which rules large swathes of Iraq and Syria under a strict form of Islamic law, has murdered five Western hostages since August last year, but this is the first time it has threatened Japanese captives.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE