Lebanese soldiers open fire during clashes with Islamic militants in Tripoli, Sunday, Oct. 26, 2014. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Lebanese troops battled Islamist militants behind attacks in Tripoli and the northern district of Minyeh for a third day Sunday with the death toll rising to 27 .The Lebanese Army vowed to press on with its offensive until all the militants are crushed, a security source told The Daily Star, adding that the military was operating according to clear-cut dictums. Four soldiers were killed and six others wounded when militants ambushed two Army vehicles in Jisr al-Mhammra in Minyeh as the military continued to fight pockets of militants in the district, north of Tripoli.An Army statement Sunday said troops pursued operations against terrorist groups in Tripoli and carried out a vast deployment in the neighborhood of Bab al-Tabbaneh and its surrounding.At least another 48 people were wounded, including 26 civilians and 22 soldiers, in fighting so far, security sources said.The security sources said that the Army command has made a decision to launch a "full-fledged and conclusive" operation against the militants, thus resorting to aerial attacks for the first time in the city.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE