Civilians walk past Lebanese security forces deployed in a street of the northern port city of Tripoli on January 19, 2014 as part of heightened security measures. (AFP PHOTO IBRAHIM CHALHOUB)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
At least three people died and over a dozen were wounded in Tripoli clashes Monday, bringing the death toll to six in the most recent round of violence in the northern city.Tripoli MP Mohammad Kabbara said Monday that the Lebanese Army would begin deploying at 6 p.m. to impose a cease-fire, beginning from the Qibbeh neighborhood and passing through to Jabal Mohsen.Residents from across Tripoli neighborhoods expressed their anxieties over the deteriorating situation and deplorable conditions in the city.The international road that connects Tripoli to Akkar also remained closed.The two Tripoli neighborhoods have engaged in numerous rounds of deadly clashes since the uprising against the Syrian regime began in March 2011 . The Lebanese Army deployed units in Tripoli last year as part of a security plan to curb fighting between the two sides but have so far been unable to quell violence in the city. Mahfoud said that Jabal Mohsen residents who were wounded in the clashes suffered the most as there were no nearby hospitals and residents feared traveling to central Tripoli for treatment.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE